4 December 2012

Big Ben & Westminster Abbey...

Day 2 in London, so we head off to see Big Ben, as we exit the underground walk out there it is. Big Ben chiming away. Big Ben was much prettier then I imagined the gold detail was just stunning...

Paul & Michelle visit Big Ben...

Check out the detail...

What a view...




So we head off to see the Jubilee Gardens, It's a perfect British day cold windy and 10 minutes of sunshine. We walked into a building thought this must be good as they are doing security checks all everyone. So in we go get searched then kicked out, what the.....it was Parliament house & they thought we were part of a committee as we strolled in with them. I asked "so what is this building" the lady said, "so your not with the committee." Oh if only I had of kept my mouth shut who knows what we would of seen.

You got to be kidding me...


Off to see Westminster Abbey, this was truly spectacular, I have not seen anything like it. Truly amazing as you walk around and just take it all in. You are given an audio guide to explain all the history and I wished we were able to take pictures so you could see the amazing detail, but no pictures were allowed. The history in this place is phenomenal, tombs of Kings, Queens, Shakespeare, Poets, Bishops and the list goes on...

We have never seen so many tombs of historic important people, highly recommended to see! There has been a place of worship here since. Get this, from the year 960! We also saw the Coronation chair brought here by Henry III in 1279, the chair has been used at every Coronation since the year 1308! This is the church is where William & Kate were married. If you decide to visit London this is definitely a must see.

Westminster Abbey

The detail just amazing...




8 comments:

  1. Love the umbrella shot! And the Parliament visit was a good one!!!! Just think you might have gone right in there if you didn't say anything!
    Big Ben is nice isn't it, I too didn't know about the detail until I saw it either...very pretty!
    Haven't done Westminster yet only St Pauls so it's on my to do list! Have fun!
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to be in Trafalgar Square Thursday night for the lighting of the Christmas Tree.......
      Will see how cold it gets, as last night wasn't too bad.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shell & Paul ,Big Ben looks bigger than when I saw it some 62 years ago and yes the detail is awesome ,and your in the right place with Williams & Kates news re baby? Enjoy the experience and the cold.
    Love Mum &Pop xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we are, we are off to see London Bridge & London Tower today, then off to see Mummy at Buckingham Palace for tea this afternoon!! I did pick up a fridge magnet with the Graham coat of arms & a bit of background on the name, very interesting reading... I'll show you when we get back.

    Love Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle
    I am amazed at the quality of your photos, just brilliant. I love the shot of you and Paul in front of Big Ben. Can't wait to see the pic of the lighting of the Christmas tree.........Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan I am hoping to get to Trafalgar Square tonight. But that will depend how cold it gets, I can't believe the cold heat my teeth just chatter when I am out...lol

      Delete
  5. omg shell and paul , looks very exciting , looks like your having the time of your lives xoxxo love leanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee we are having fun with only a few tanties along the way...lol I tend to get soo cold by the end of the day, I call it my bewitching hour, as Paul says are its that time of the day again. I usually reply with saying its all apart of the experience...lol

      Delete